World Bronchiectasis Day:
An Education and Community Toolkit
Join the COPD Foundation and numerous other global lung health organizations as we champion World Bronchiectasis Day, July 1, 2022. World Bronchiectasis Day is an annual event established to raise awareness and action for those affected by the disease worldwide. This year’s theme is Bringing the World Together for Bronchiectasis.
Read on to discover World Bronchiectasis Day education and events and what you need to know about bronchiectasis. Help educate others and get involved in Lace-Up for Lungs and other activities.
World Bronchiectasis Day Education
An Introduction to Bronchiectasis
Tim Aksamit, MD, World Bronchiectasis Day committee co-chair provides insight about bronchiectasis for patients, caregivers, and those at risk for bronchiectasis.
Bronchiectasis Q&A With Tim Aksamit, MD
This webinar was presented by Bronchiectasis and NTM 360 of the COPD Foundation. In this webinar, Dr. Tim Aksamit, Medical Director of Bronchiectasis and NTM 360, answers questions that were previously submitted by patients and caregivers.
Basics of Bronchiectasis Information Sheet
Basics of Bronchiectasis - English
気管支拡張症とは？ - Japanese
لق إضافي أدواع المل يمكنك المحتويات وات- Arabic
Grundlagen der Bronchiektasie - German
Los Fundamentos Basicos de la Bronquiectasias - Spanish
Bronquiectasias: Aspetos Básicos - Portuguese
FAQs About Bronchiectasis
Q. What Are the Symptoms of Bronchiectasis?
The main symptom of bronchiectasis is a cough with varying mucus production. Many people have symptoms for months, even years, before getting diagnosed.
Other symptoms include:
- Repeat chest infections
- Increased tiredness
- Unexplained fever, chills, sweat, and weight loss
- Chest pain
Q. How is it Diagnosed?
An X-ray is the most common test to diagnose or confirm bronchiectasis. One common type of X-ray test is a computed tomography (CT) scan of your chest, which shows a detailed picture of your lungs.
Another standard test is the pulmonary function test (PFT).
Q. What You Can Do About It
If you suspect you have bronchiectasis or have symptoms, see your health care provider for testing. Download your free copy of the 1s, 2s, and 3s of bronchiectasis for information about living with bronchiectasis.
World Bronchiectasis Day Events
Chronic Lung Disease Lived Experience Panel Webinar: Join this online event on May 26, 2022, hosted by World Bronchiectasis Day partner, Lung Foundation Australia. Register for the event.
Living well with Bronchiectasis: An interview between provider and bronchiectasis patient: Join the Bronchiectasis and NTM 360 of the COPD Foundation for this Facebook Premier Event scheduled to air via the Foundation’s Facebook page on World Bronchiectasis Day, July 1, 2002.
Advancing Bronchiectasis Awareness and Education video series: Tim Aksamit, MD, Medical Director of Bronchiectasis and NTM 360, will lead this video series for primary care providers. Topics include identification/ diagnosis, treatment, and management of exacerbations. This four-part video series will air on the Bronchiectasis and NTM 360 website on July 1, 2022.
The 5th World Bronchiectasis & NTM Conference: The conference is in Prague, June 30 - July 2, 2022, covers the novelties in diagnosis, management, and treatment of these complex pathologies that are often misdiagnosed or overlooked. Learn more about the event.
Get Involved and Support World Bronchiectasis Day
There are several ways to get involved and share awareness for bronchiectasis. Whether you attend events, post on social, or advocate for more research and funding for bronchiectasis, your voice can make a difference for someone affected by bronchiectasis. Consider these ways to get involved:
- #LaceUpforLungs: Walk for #WorldBronchiectasisDay: We invite the global bronchiectasis community to #LaceUpforLungs June 24 – July 1, 2022, and to walk on behalf of bronchiectasis awareness. This do-it-yourself (DIY) event provides the opportunity for you to lace up for lung health and promote bronchiectasis awareness at the same time. It’s fun and easy to get involved and you get to do something healthy, too! Take a picture or video and show others that you support #bronchiectasis awareness. Use one of the posts below or write your own and share it on social media. Let others know about bronchiectasis and that you are joining us in bringing the world together for bronchiectasis. Are you ready to get your own Lace-Up for Lungs toolkit to get started? Sign up here and we will email you Lace-Up for Lungs tools to help you get started!
- Attend bronchiectasis-related events – be informed and share with others.
- Donate to support the Foundation’s mission to prevent COPD, bronchiectasis, and nontuberculous mycobacterial (NTM) lung disease and to seek cures while improving lives and advocating for all affected.
- Share your story: Has bronchiectasis impacted you? Whether you have bronchiectasis, are a caregiver for someone that does, a friend, a family member, or a health care provider, we encourage you to tell your story. Post on social media and use the hashtag #WorldBronchiectasisDay, or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Share information about bronchiectasis and World Bronchiectasis Day on social media: Use the posts below or write your own to promote #WorldBronchiectasisDay and encourage others in your country to be aware of bronchiectasis. Your participation will help us to educate others and encourage communities and governments to invest in bronchiectasis education, research, and support for those with bronchiectasis and others not yet diagnosed. When posting, please use the hashtag #WorldBronchiectasisDay and tag us: @COPDFoundation. Follow, like, and share posts on the COPD Foundation social sites. #WorldBronchiectasisDay events and education for all participating global organizations will be shared from this account:
* And, if you have not already, please join: BronchandNTM360social. You can share your photos, videos, and posts for #WorldBronchiectasisDay and #LaceUpforLungs challenges on BronchandNTM360social. We’ll announce events, education, and social challenges through July 1, 2022.
Social Media Posts to Share in Support of World Bronchiectasis Day
- Bronchiectasis IS manageable. Education, advocacy, and empowerment are critical for successful disease management. Join the cause and support awareness for #bronchiectasis. Worldbronchiectasisday.org #WorldBronchiectasisDay
- Advocate for #bronchiectasis research and funding. Learn more: worldbronchiectasis.org #WorldBronchiectasisDay #LaceUpforLungs
- Patient education is key to managing your #bronchiectasis. Visit bronchiectasis FAQs (https://www.bronchiectasisandntminitiative.org/Bronchiectasis/Bronchiectasis-Resources/Bronchiectasis-FAQs) for free resources. #LaceUpforLungs #bronchiectasis #WorldBronchiectasisDay
- What is #bronchiectasis? Learn more in this video from the Lung Foundation Australia: https://youtu.be/MjsSIu8q3RQ #WorldBronchiectasisDay
- Join us and #LaceUpforLungs on #WorldBronchiectasisDay! Amplify the voices of our community and raise awareness for people with #bronchiectasis. #WorldBronchiectasisDay #MedTwitter
- What do you know about the relationship between bronchiectasis and COPD? Learn more: https://bit.ly/bronchiectasis-COPD #bronchiectasis #WorldBronchiectasisDay #LaceUpforLungs #COPD
- I #LaceUpforLungs in support of #WorldBronchiectasisDay. Join me, share your walk progress, your pix or video, and a key fact, story, or tips about bronchiectasis. #WorldBronchiectasDay
- Barbara has #bronchiectasis. This is her story about living with bronchiectasis. Watch this video by @EuropeanLung, a #WorldBronchiectasisDay partner: https://europeanlung.org/en/people-and-partners/your-experiences/gb-barbara-crossley-antibiotic-resistance-the-way-forward/
- Be a voice for those with #bronchiectasis. Breath is the lifeblood of everything we are, everything we do, and everything we can do. #WorldBronchiectasisDay #LaceUpforLungs #Advocacy
Facebook or LinkedIn
- July 1, 2022, is #WorldBronchiectasisDay. Did you know that hundreds of thousands of people worldwide live with bronchiectasis, and some may not yet have been diagnosed? Discover the symptoms of #bronchiectasis: worldbronchiectasisday.org. #LaceUpforLungs #bronchiectasis @COPDFoundation
- Join us and go the distance for #bronchiectasis. #LaceUpforLungs for #WorldBronchiectasisDay. You can plan a DIY walk and share your pix/ video. Challenge your friends and share the bronchiectasis community voice: worldbronchiectasisday.org @COPDFoundation
- Amplify the voices of our community and raise awareness for people with #bronchiectasis. Learn more: worldbronchiectasisday.org. #WorldBronchiecasisDay #LaceUpforLungs #bronchiectasis @COPDFoundation
- Are you looking for a community of people with #bronchiectasis? Join this active online community of people with bronchiectasis, caregivers, and health care professionals. Share your experience, find welcoming friends, and connect with others in the bronchiectasis community. Register today! BronchandNTM360social #WorldBronchiectasisDay @copdfoundation
- Advocate for #bronchiectasis research and funding in your country. Write to members of your local government to support bronchiectasis research and education for the undiagnosed! #WorldBronchiectasisDay @COPDFoundation
- Join the #LaceUpforLungs challenge in support of #WorldBronchiectasisDay. Lace up and move for the mission! WorldBronchiectasisDay.org. Together we can do more to support #bronchiectasis #WorldBronchiectasisDay #LaceUpforLungs @COPDFoundation
- Providers: Did You Know that the prevalence of #bronchiectasis is increasing in the U.S. and Europe? It occurs more frequently in women, and its prevalence rises with age. Read the ATS Journal article, Bronchiectasis: Phenotyping an orphan disease. #WorldBronchiectasisDay partner @ATS #bronchiectasis
Images to Download and Use on Social Media
Click on each image to download.
Global Bronchiectasis Resources